Super Frank Hits 203 Club Goals

Finally the day has come that Frank Lampard Jnr has become Chelsea’s all time top goalscorer. In a lunchtime kickoff at Villa Park, the hosts took an early lead with […]

Lampard

Finally the day has come that Frank Lampard Jnr has become Chelsea’s all time top goalscorer.

Frank’s the man: Lampard brace seals Chelsea victory. Credit: @chelseafc

In a lunchtime kickoff at Villa Park, the hosts took an early lead with the Premier League’s leading scorer in 2013, Christian Benteke, sliding the ball inside Petr Cech’s near post after just 15 minutes. To make matters worse for Blues’ fans, last year’s Players’ Player of the Year, Ramires,  saw red for a second bookable offence just before half time. Chelsea were once again subjecting their supporters to anxious heartache, with their place in next year’s UEFA Champions League hanging in the balance.

Chelsea’s fortunes then changed 15 minutes into the second half as Christian Benteke was dismissed for a second bookable offence after raising a high boot at John Terry. The Villa striker should arguably have been sent off earlier after elbowing Chelsea defender Cesar Azpilicueta – an offence for which he was cautioned.

Chelsea looked to their former captain to help them regain some control of a game that, in the first 60 minutes, seemed to be out of their grasp. Just after the hour mark Lampard hit a left-footed shot past Villa keeper Brad Guzan to equalize and also match Chelsea legend Bobby Tambling’s 202 club goals record.

After seeing captain John Terry stretchered off with what seemed to be a serious ankle injury, Lampard stepped up to the mark again. With two minutes remaining, Eden Hazard cut the ball back for ‘Super Frank’ who slotted the ball into the back of the net. 203 club goals for Lampard, three points for Chelsea, and Champions League football next season all but secured.

Aston Villa, on the other hand, are still yet to secure their Premier League status for next year. With top scorer Benteke suspended, their season could come down to a final day encounter with FA Cup winners Wigan.

Whether Frank Lampard will still be at Stamford Bridge next season still remains to be seen, although prospective new manager Jose ‘The Special One’ Mourinho has said that if he does return to Stamford Bridge, then Lampard will receive a new contract. However, he is still Chelsea’s all time top-scorer, and I doubt he has finished yet, especially with a trip to Amsterdam to face Benfica in the Europa League Final in the pipeline. Surely his performance this weekend must have secured him a place in the squad?