Eurovision 2013 – The Preview

Saturday 18th May is an important date in all music lovers’ diaries. It is the Final of the Eurovision Song Contest. 26 countries will battle it out to win this […]

esc 2013

Saturday 18th May is an important date in all music lovers’ diaries. It is the Final of the Eurovision Song Contest. 26 countries will battle it out to win this prestigious competition, win the trophy have receive the honour (or expense!) of hosting the 2014 version. We bring you the lowdown on all the participants, as well as a better’s guide to Eurovision.

Due to Loreen’s “Euphoric” victory for Sweden last year, the city of Malmo, in southern Sweden, has been chosen to host this year’s event. Two Semi-finals are taking place on Tuesday and Thursday, with the top ten songs from each progressing to the Final, to join The Big 5 (UK, France, Spain, Germany and Italy) as well as the hosts, Sweden. The Big 5 automatically make it through to the final due to their financial contribution to Eurovision, the UK’s share reportedly costing less than half an episode of Dr Who.

There are some huge changes to this year’s contest that will more than likely affect the voting and final result. Portugal, Andorra and Turkey are three of the more high profile drop outs this year. Based on previous years, Spain will lose out on 24 points from Portugal and Andorra. Meanwhile, Turkey, regardless of the quality of their song, gain maximum points from all their neighbours, points which are now up for grabs.

Another change this year is the way the votes are worked out. Previously the National Jury (made up of music industry experts) ranked each song from first to last, and their scores were mixed with the televoting’s Top 10, to create each Country’s Top 10 results. This year, however, Eurovision will look at the whole list of televoting, meaning that the top results won’t change, but the bottom points will be better distributed.

Song position in the final won’t be an excuse this year for a bad result. Countries no longer pick their place in the final, but the half in which they will sing. Eurovision producers will now allocate the songs to their position in the final, meaning we won’t hear 13 ballads in a row (and there are a lot this year) followed by 13 dance songs.

This year the bookies are backing Denmark and Ukraine appear in the final. Both are sung by girls with a catchy chorus and tuneful melody, and should prove popular with juries and the voting public alike.

If Ukraine or Denmark slip up, then 2011 winners Azerbaijan, with a strong ballad could spring another win. Russia always votes politically, and with a decent song they stand a chance. Last year they sent a joke act in five elderly grannies singing and cooking on stage, but this year they have gone back to the tried and tested solo male ballad. Expect this song to do very well.

Rounding out the Top 10 could be a host of Scandinavian and Western European songs, which makes a difference from previous years of Eastern European dominance. Germany’s Cascada stands out as a very credible dance song in a sea of ballads this year. It would be worth noting that all participants are required to sing live, something which could affect Cascada’s reliance on autotune.

Ireland and the UK could both have strong showings this year. Ireland has ditched the annoyance of Jedward, and has gone for a Justin Bieber sound-a-like. The UK has gone old school and we are resting our hopes on Bonnie Tyler, the singer who brought us Total Eclipse of the Heart in the 80’s. Initial reaction from the rest of Europe is positive, and she has a very strong Eastern European backing so expect this to break into the Top 15, and could even be in danger of hitting the Top 10 if performances go our way on the night.

Our dark horse this year is Belgium. An upbeat ballad, it sounds like any member of The Wanted could be singing it. The bookies don’t rate it, but if it makes it out of the Semi Final, it could make the Top 10 – Definitely worth a flutter.

The Semi Finals are live on BBC3, Tuesday 14th, and Thursday 16th next week from 8pm, with the Final Live on BBC1 on Saturday 18th, from 8pm.

We’re predicting a win for Denmark closely followed by Ukraine. Who do you think could win it this year?