Southampton Goes Viral

To most, Southampton is famous for having something to do with the Titanic, being the birth place of Craig David and being one of the largest shipping docks in Europe. However, some […]

To most, Southampton is famous for having something to do with the Titanic, being the birth place of Craig David and being one of the largest shipping docks in Europe. However, some may associate it with a certain nightclub picture, a sung FIFA apology and the rather amusing name of an academic. I looked into all things that Southampton produced that went viral!

LecturerLad

Denis Nicole is an Electronic Engineer lecturer from Southampton Uni who made it onto the LAD Bible because of his ‘witty pointing’ to a whiteboard. We aren’t quite sure as to why he is teaching his students about suduko, but we’ve heard he’s an ‘interesting’ character.

Obviously you’re doing a challenging degree if studying suduko

Soton Tab April Fools

The Independent said that “it was students that delivered on the real pranks” this April Fools and one of our very own articles made the cut!

You can see the round up of the Independent’s best April Fools articles here and ours, here.

FIFA Apology

So there’s this football game, and sometimes people lose and when they do, they have to write on their opponent’s Facebook so everyone can see it and it’s totally humiliating and OMG it’s just awful. As a new stance, Ankush Jain used the Elton John classic to fully make up for his 5-0 defeat and was even picked up by The Lad Bible! You can watch it here.

“Welcome to Portswood”

Spectacularly done by the Medics Revue in 2011, this classic is written and performed solely by the Southampton medics themselves. The video now has nearly 45,000 hits on YouTube and is praised by students old and new!

Jesters BJ photo

This photo, featuring our very own VP Engagement, perhaps in more ways than one, Shane Murphy, has nearly 8,300 likes on the Embarrassing Nightclub Photos of the week Facebook page. The mystery couple have still not been discovered, and we’re starting to think it’s a couple of Portswood locals.

What a claim to fame!

The unfortunately named lecturer

What more is there to say, Awkward Names loved it….

Dr Brian J Tester is a research fellow at the Institute of Sound and Vibration Research and is apparently not a “BJ Tester” unfortunately.

Frisky medics

After two of our very own second years were caught ‘participating in oral sex’ on CCTV down at Southampton General Hospital, it got headlines from just about everywhere! The BBC reported that it prompted a warning to students with the Associate Dean of Medicine, Dr Chris Stevens saying “If you want to perform oral sex on each other, I am sure you could find a more comfortable place that is out of public view and is off NHS property!” The story was picked up by the Huffington Post and the Metro!

Poor Hobbit

Back in March last year, our precious Hobbit came under siege by Hollywood lawyers for copyright infringement. However, with a plucky campaign and a few words from our favourite intellects, Stephen Fry and Sir Ian McKellan, it was saved! This story was picked up internationally in Australia, Russia and the US! Not bad for a quiet day in Portswood.

What would we do without the Hobbit’s infamous Fellowship?

Do you know anything else that went viral? Let us know in the comments!