SUSU AGM: Going through the motions

Tomorrow sees the start of voting for the SUSU AGM, and the motions to be voted on are up on the SUSU website here, pending discussion tomorrow. There is the […]

Tomorrow sees the start of voting for the SUSU AGM, and the motions to be voted on are up on the SUSU website here, pending discussion tomorrow. There is the usual variety of funding debates, outlandish ideas, and the occasional humorous post.

First up, the funding-based propositions. included are ‘Should SUSU ensure more money for societies?’ and ‘Should SUSU keep facilities costs for student groups to a minimum?’. At this stage, no detail is offered as to how SUSU might go about carrying these out, but its clear that students want these discussed, even at this early stage of voting in the ideas for discussion.

Perhaps one of the more interesting serious ideas is asking SUSU to create a student led committee in charge of running (or perhaps ‘reviving’) nightlife at The Cube, currently one of SUSU’s less popular areas, could a student led committee specifically focussing on this area be what is needed to breathe some life back into nightlife?

The martial arts committee have come in keen too, with one proposition for a new martial arts studio written plainly, and another seemingly generic idea, ‘Should SUSU renovate the Activities Room?’ reveals similarly martial arts based motives when the full idea is read:
Renovate the Activities room’ to make it a more useful space for clubs and societies to use. Encourage Sport and Wellbeing maintain the Martial Arts rooms (clean it properly, fix air conditioning, etc.). Let Martial arts clubs book the Multipurpose studio. Make a new room available, or create new spaces (e.g a dojo) for clubs (especially martial arts), to relieve pressure on room bookings.’ This idea currently is held in favour for discussion, whilst another club specific motion, ‘Should SUSU allocate more money to archery?’ at the time of writing struggled to gather momentum.

There also some slightly more bizarre (though often very relevant) ideas on the page – indeed, perhaps a statue of the beloved SUSU cat ought to be erected on Redbrick – or will that soon be the Thatcher Plaza? Both ideas are currently struggling to gather support, but if you feel passionately there is still time to have your say.

In media, there are a lot of ideas surrounding student publications ‘The Edge‘ and ‘Wessex Scene‘ – name changes, and cancellations have been proposed, but the idea currently looking as though it may reach discussion is terminating print publication of the Scene.

What do you think? Are there any ideas you are disappointed not to see on the page so far? Comment below!

The AGM will take place on May 8th