Have YOU Been Fooled? A Round-Up Of The BEST April Fools' JOKES

It’s that day of the year again, the fake pregnancy ultrasound pictures and relationship status’ litter Facebook timelines and ‘Breaking News’ clogs up Twitter feeds, but here at The Tab, […]

It’s that day of the year again, the fake pregnancy ultrasound pictures and relationship status’ litter Facebook timelines and ‘Breaking News’ clogs up Twitter feeds, but here at The Tab, we’ve found some of the best April Fools’ jokes, from apps that let you smell what you type, to aeroplanes with glass bottoms.

Google Nose – Smelling is Believing

Google Nose is a brand new service which provides smells for whatever you type into the search engine – just “bring your nose as close as you can to the screen and press Enter”. Google have released a range of products to coincide with this launch, including ‘Scratch and Sniff’ books – can anyone else see 50 Shades of Grey being a tremendous hit here?

Fuelling the obsession with the smell of petrol…and wet dog?

The New Lynx Zero Range – for the guy who already has the girl

Guys, do you want a fragrance that will repel those of the opposite sex? Don’t want other girls giving you the ‘come to bed’ eyes in Magaluf this summer in case your girlfriend gets jealous? Lynx have the product for you; their brand new ‘Lynx Zero’ range is for those guys who already have the girls, a fragrance that will means you can still ‘look good, smell good and feel good – without getting in trouble!’

One girl, who has particular trouble with fighting other girls off her boyfriend, said:  “This is a life saver for me, I’ve ordered 25 cans and will insist my boyfriend wears it to Jesters, as well as to lectures, field trips and to the gym. Having a rich, good looking boyfriend is very important to me, but keeping them under control can often be difficult. I am pleased that I can finally stop paying my friends to follow him on nights out though, this is a much cheaper option”. 

From Hero..To Zero

Roy-Owl Mail

Kirkleatham Owl Centre in North Yorkshire has announced that they have specially trained the owls at their sanctuary to deliver the internal mail, after budget cuts have forced them to sack their usual featherless postmen. Eight of the centre’s 45 owls have been specially trained since the ‘Roy-owl Mail’ project began last week.

YouTube to Close

Today, YouTube has announced it will be shutting down after eight years and will no longer accept videos, and will be selecting the best video ever uploaded onto the site. How will we survive without videos of cats falling in boxes and “singers” with some serious anger management issues?

Since its creation in 2005, it has been YouTube’s goal to search through user submitted videos to find THE best video in the world, and there are of course many contenders –Charlie Bit My Fingerbeing a personal favourite of mine. With users submitting over 70 hours of footage every minute, the task will not easy to select just one winner, but here is how they plan to do it:

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H542nLTTbu0]

Annncng Twttr

Heard those dirty rumours of social media sites wanting to charge you for having an account? Well, the worst has happened – if you want to be able to use vowels in your tweets, Twitter will charge you $5.00 a month, or alternatively, you could just use the basic, free service bt wtht bng bl t s vwls (but without being able to use vowels).

Joan Rivers is said to be outraged at this announcement, after her latest tweet this morning

Want to see what your new tweets will look like when the service is introduced? Try the ‘no vowels’ translator here.

Virgin Atlantic to release glass-bottomed planes

Sir Richard Branson has this morning released a press statement confirming the rumours that Virgin will be launching a brand new glass-bottomed plane for its internal flights in Great Britain. Virgin engineers have been working in secret for years on this project, and Branson reveals he is beyond excited to fly on the plane amongst fellow explorers: “I am incredibly proud of yet another aviation breakthrough which has been years in the making. I can’t wait to experience the first flight for myself with my family and other natural born explorers.”

Making flying all the more easier for those with an extreme fear of flying

University of Southampton to leave the prestigious Russell Group

The University has made the controversial decision to leave the Russell Group, and will instead join a new cohort of universities known as ‘GRANTS‘ – Greenwich, Reading, Aberysywth, Newcastle, Trent, and now Southampton. The University of Southampton has previously prided itself on its membership to the Russell Group, but now believe that joining GRANTS will help aid their research, and they will be able to draw on the experience and expertise from these other diverse institutions.

So that’s our round-up of the best APRIL FOOLS’ jokes and pranks from around the globe, but what about you? Have you committed or been a victim of an April Fools’ prank? Have you seen some you think are better? Comment below, and let us know!