Southampton Lecturer Awarded for INVENTING the World Wide Web

Not content with inventing the World Wide Web and starring in an Olympics opening ceremony, Southampton Lecturer Sir Tim Berners-Lee has become the first to win the Queen Elizabeth Prize […]

Not content with inventing the World Wide Web and starring in an Olympics opening ceremony, Southampton Lecturer Sir Tim Berners-Lee has become the first to win the Queen Elizabeth Prize for Engineering.

The whopping £1 million prize is awarded to an individual or a team of people for a ground-breaking advance responsible for a ‘significant benefit to humanity’, with Berners-Lee being recognised, along with Louis Pouzin, Robert Kahn, Vincent Cerf, and Mark Andreessen, for their collaboration to create and develop the internet as we know it.

Sir Tim Berners-Lee, who is an ECS Professor at the University of Southampton, first developed the World Wide Web in 1989, allowing us to browse an endless, and mostly irrelevant, number of websites. His invention is used by almost a third of the world’s population.