Las Vegas-Style Casino Coming To Southampton

Lock up your student loans; a new super casino with 150 slot machines and 30 blackjack and poker tables is set to open on Southampton’s waterfront. The Las Vegas-style casino […]

Lock up your student loans; a new super casino with 150 slot machines and 30 blackjack and poker tables is set to open on Southampton’s waterfront.

What the development may look like

The Las Vegas-style casino will be part of the Royal Pier development programme, there is hope that as well as creating thousands of jobs, it will also reconnect the waterfront to the city centre.

The bid over which gambling firm will run the casino could take up to 18 months to decide, more than a dozen companies have shown interest in running the super casino including Aspers who opened England’s first super casino in London just last year. The £450 million development project may also feature two hotels, restaurants and an indoor arena. Simon Letts, the council’s cabinet member for resources, believes that the super casino could generate £1 million a year – the social and economic benefits are looking to be huge.

Regular casinos usually have a limit of just 20 slot machines, with more than 5 times this amount the potential jackpot is a massive £4000. Southampton is one of eight councils in the country with the rights to handle a casino licence of this size.