PRESIDENTIAL SHOWDOWN: Peter 'Peewee' Ward

Hi, I’m Peewee, and at 5′ 5″ I’m taller than the average height for women. I’m a northerner (from Durham) and I’m putting myself forward for the role of Union […]

Hi, I’m Peewee, and at 5′ 5″ I’m taller than the average height for women. I’m a northerner (from Durham) and I’m putting myself forward for the role of Union President.

Having been here for almost four years now, it has increasingly annoyed me how stagnant SUSU has become recently and I’d like to give SUSU a new, fresh start, and raise it’s profile in every student’s mind as a positive thing that can make a real difference to everyone’s lives. Whether that’s by going to the cube on a night out, or being involved in a club or society, all the way up to running for Sabbatical Officer and leading the union, I believe SUSU can, and should, help develop all of its members whilst they’re studying here.

I propose to be a president that supports all the other union officers in doing their jobs, encouraging them to re-engage with the student body and re-instilling the bottom up leadership that SUSU can, and should be all about. After all, we do call ourselves “student led” all the time don’t we? I would also be a president for the students and not for the staff or the University, focusing on the things that will make a real difference to the everyday lives of students now, not in three years time.

So what’s my background? Well, I’m a 3rd year Acoustical Engineering and Music student but I actually started out studying Aeronautics and Astronautics in 2009, before transferring because (shock horror) rocket science is hard! In terms of SUSU, I’m one of the current Student Trustees and Company Directors, as well as a course rep in Acoustics, and over the years have been Performing Arts Officer, numerous positions on Showstoppers Committee, and have also been a representative on a large amount of SUSU committees. I believe that I have the experience as a current student to lead this union in the right direction, whilst bringing a breath of fresh air to the sabbatical team.

For more information on my policies and experience, check out my manifesto here.

Anyone who knows me can attest to the fact that I love getting my belly out, and I have promised many of the other candidates that if they and I win our respective elections, I will belly bump them live onstage. Who wouldn’t want to see that?

We also shot some questions at Peewee:

What is your favourite sport?

• As a Newcastle United fan, it has to be football

What is your drink of choice?

• I’d be tempted to say Black Russian but you just can’t beat a Jesticle

What was your New Years resolution for 2013?

• Win a presidential election, oh and pass my degree!

What have you done in life that has no relevance to the role you are going for?

• An awful lot of performing, but then you could argue all politics is an act…

Current relationship status?

• Recently single

Did you take a gap yarh?

• Alas I did. I worked for the Ministry of Defence then travelled round Borneo for a bit

Are you graduating or taking a year out between your second or third year for your Sabb position?

• Graduating. Finally.

Was Southampton University your first or second choice?

• Second.

What is your favourite place to spend a night in Southampton?

• Jesters. Hands down.

If you could do any degree apart from your current/ previous one what would it be?

• I actually changed degrees and I’m pretty happy with the one I’m doing now. That being said, if Southampton did an acting degree I’d be a happy bunny.

What’s your pincode?

• 24601

Favourite TV show…

• Top Gear

What is the worst thing to ever happen to you in a nightclub?

• I still remember waking up the day after So:Portswood in my first year. I was naked except for my pants, sharing a bed with 2 guys, covered in scratches with a chipped tooth and a dent in my nose. I’m not entirely sure what happened but I was in pain for days afterwards.

What do you want to do as a future career?

• Acting

What would you score your looks out of 10?

• 7

Who is the hottest person in your campaign team?

• Either of my campaign managers, Maria Webb and James “Irish” O’Mahony are both pretty sexy human beings

Where do you call home?

• Durham

Where did you last go on holiday?

• Rhodes

If you could compare yourself to a current Sabb who would it be and why? 

• I have the unenviable task of being compared with Dave Gilani for the whole election! And there are worse people to be compared against, even if he is my competition!

If you could write something on the top of the Maths tower, what would it be?

• This building is too damn high

NUS: Yes or No?

• Yes. The NUS may not be a great organisation currently but it has the potential to achieve so much. Your car breaks, you don’t walk away and expect it to fix itself, you roll your sleeves up and fix it.

To view what the other candidates have to say, click here.