The BRITS 2013: Results

Last night London’s O2 played host to Britain’s annual pop awards, The BRITS. Hosted by James Corden, the night was set to be a success with performances from Ben Howard, […]

Last night London’s O2 played host to Britain’s annual pop awards, The BRITS. Hosted by James Corden, the night was set to be a success with performances from Ben Howard, Justin Timberlake, One Direction, Taylor Swift, Rihanna, Coldplay, Calvin Harris, Rita Ora, Labrinth and more. Muse kicked off the night with a bang by performing their new track Supremacy, backed by a 75 piece strong orchestra and a pyrotechnics show fit for a festival. Lets take a look and see who the winners (and losers) were this year!

Best British Female Solo Artist

Nominees

Amy Winehouse

Bat For Lashes

Emeli Sande

Jessie Ware

Paloma Faith

Winner – Emeli Sande

The first award of the night went to Emeli Sande who dazzled the red carpet as well as the stage.

Best British Group

Nominees

Alt J

Mumford and Sons

Muse

One Direction

The XX

Winner – Mumford and Sons

Having won the award for Best Album in 2011 this was the band’s second BRIT, frontman Marcus Mumford said “We were in a group with Muse and One Direction, so it’s a surprise.”

Best British Live Act

Nominees

Coldplay

Mumford and Sons

Muse

The Rolling Stones

The Vaccines

Winner – Coldplay

Best British Breakthrough Act

Nominees

Alt J

Ben Howard

Jake Bugg

Jessie Ware

Rita Ora

Winner – Ben Howard

While collecting his award from Nick Grimshaw, a Radio 1 DJ, Ben Howard said “I’m not very good at speeches. I’m not very good at dancing.” During the night Nick Grimshaw also received a prize of his own – a cheeky kiss from host James Corden.

Best British Male Solo Artist

Nominees

Ben Howard

Calvin Harris

Olly Murs

Plan B

Richard Hawley

Winner-Ben Howard

International Female Solo Artist

Nominees

Alicia Keys

Cat Power

Lana Del Rey

Rihanna

Taylor Swift

Winner – Lana Del Ray

During her speech, a delighted Lana Del Ray said “Thank you so much. I live here and I love it and I wrote my record here.”

Best British Single

Nominees

Adele, Skyfall

Alex Clare, Too Close

Coldplay ft. Rihanna, Princess of China

DJ Fresh ft. Rita Ora, Hot Right Now

Emeli Sande, Next To Me

Florence and the Machine, Spectrum

James Arthur, Impossible

Jessie J, Domino

Rizzle Kicks, Mama Do The Hump

Labrinth ft. Emeli Sande, Beneath Your Beautiful

Robbie Williams, Candy

Olly Murs ft. Flo Rida, Troublemaker

Rita Ora ft. Tinie Tempah, RIP

Stooshe, Black Heart

Rudimental ft. John Newman, Feel The Love

Winner – Adele, Skyfall

After the success of the Bond movie, this result was no surprise. During her pre-recorded video acceptance speech Adele joked about the controversial way she was cut off mid-speech last year as the show was overrunning.

British Album of the Year

Nominees

Alt J, An Awesome Wave

Emeli Sande, Our Version Of Events

Mumford and Sons, Babel

Paloma Faith, Fall To Grace

Plan B, Ill Manors

Winner- Emeli Sande, Our Version Of Events

The most anticipated and perhaps the most prestigious award went to the woman of the night – Emeli Sande – for her debut release. Sande clearly made an impression during the Olympics this year and last night joined Ben Howard at the top, after having both won 2 awards. Sande closed the show on a high by singing Next To Me.

Global Success Award: One Direction

The much-loved British pop fivesome couldn’t go home empty-handed. The preppy boyband were last night rewarded for their storming success across the UK and the USA, since finishing 3rd in the UK X Factor.

Special Recognition Award: War Child

War Child play hosts to many musical fundraisers including concerts and albums; the children’s charity help young people who are caught up in war zones and this year they were recognised-2 decades since the organisation began.

Other successes from the night include The Black Keys (Best International Group), Frank Ocean (Best International Male Solo Artist) and the Critics’ Choice-Tom Odell.

The night went down without a glitch and has thus been branded “dull” by some. Critics also complain that because the awards just celebrate those who have done well throughout the year the outcome is predictable. Nonetheless the night was thoroughly entertaining even if you were just judging everyone’s outfits.