Click "Share" for CONTEMPT of Court

Recently there have been pictures circulating on social networking sites supposedly portraying the faces of Robert Thompson and Jon Venables, the child demons who tortured and murdered a two year […]

Recently there have been pictures circulating on social networking sites supposedly portraying the faces of Robert Thompson and Jon Venables, the child demons who tortured and murdered a two year old boy called James Bulger and left him on train tracks to die.

These images are not even supposed to be circulating, clicking the share button on your Facebook could land you in contempt of court. It is a criminal offence internationally to circulate images of these men who are now released and living on fake identities. After looking at some of these images  something has been bothering me: the faces are of different people.

“This man is Venables” boasts one site while another claims that a complete different man has the face of a child killer! This gallery of potential images indicates that no one really knows what these men look like, they have remained faceless while innocent people have their faces plastered across sites such as Facebook with pathetic and severely disturbed people stating “send me his address, let’s see if he likes getting a brick in the head.” What happens if this man is innocent (which he most probably is) and he now becomes a target for psychotic people?

Seeing how many people have shared these images leads me to my point: do people on social networking sites believe that simply sharing pictures is an innocent act? Sharing pictures of things like drunk dogs or student rooms full of balloons is completely different to that of something that could potentially destroy an innocent person’s life and standing in the community! Would we hold up pictures of these men in real life if we didn’t know the facts?
Remember to think before you share these pictures. If not only to make sure that you are not in contempt of court but also, what happens if the next picture shared is one of one of your friends you know is innocent? Or yourself?