Valentine's Day: It's Better To Be Single

It’s that special time of year again where the world seems to shine pink and fluffy, when we get to celebrate that certain someone in our lives and bask in […]

It’s that special time of year again where the world seems to shine pink and fluffy, when we get to celebrate that certain someone in our lives and bask in their adoration. Or, for the singletons of Southampton, that special time of year where that gap in your lives and hearts becomes more glaringly obvious than ever.

But do not despair! Here’s a life-affirming list of why it really is better to be single on Valentine’s day. Couples, read it and weep; singletons, you were probably already weeping but if this doesn’t make you feel better about the absence of adoring A3 size cards and teddy bears in your lives (the symbols of true love) we don’t know what will…

1. You get to enjoy some alone time. Because it’s not like you get enough of that, being single and all.

2. And this ‘me time’ can be made all the more enjoyable by taking advantage of the multitude of ‘Dine in for 2’ deals supermarkets are offering, with no need to share.

3. Ditto the bottle of wine that accompanies most offers. You’ll need it.

4. You get to avoid that awkward situation where you have several admirers all offering to take you out and the juggling fiasco that ensues. Because you have no offers. Not even one. Phew, dodged a bullet there.

5. Being the politically active singleton you are, you can enjoy the moral high ground as you refuse to take part in such a commercially driven, corporate holiday. It may be lonely up on your ethical pedestal, but they did warn you it would be lonely at the top.

6. Everyone will be pitying super impressed by your independent lifestyle choice (even if it is less of a choice and more a reluctant acceptance you really will be forever alone).

7. You won’t find yourself involved in a “let’s not do gifts” agreement, inevitably resulting in either your girlfriend/boyfriend feeling embarrassingly guilty for not getting you anything OR you looking like the tightest/meanest/worst girlfriend/boyfriend ever when you actually stick to the agreement and find that he/she has not. Being single you can rest assured that you will not be receiving gifts, and if you were to buy some that would just be classed as weird.

8. You face none of the difficulties of being with a partner on Valentine’s day when you haven’t said ‘I love you’ yet, when purchasing them a card which reads ‘I LOVE YOU SO MUCH I CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT YOU NEVER LEAVE ME PLEASE’ feels slightly inappropriate, whilst at the same time signing off with a passionate ‘From’ feels a little harsh. Middle ground? Who cares about finding a middle ground! As there’s no risk of you having anyone to tell you do or do not love them none of this awkwardness is a problem for you. Winning.

So, perhaps a Valentine’s card from your mum isn’t quite the same as the real deal, and perhaps some people enjoy being showered with love and attention, but remember; ultimately, single life really is better. Oh, and don’t forget to feed your cat(s).