Has Elections Campaigning Already Begun?

Just when you were dreading the elections buzz on campus that’s due to kick off in the coming weeks, it seems some unofficial campaigning may have already commenced. Eagle-eyed students […]

Just when you were dreading the elections buzz on campus that’s due to kick off in the coming weeks, it seems some unofficial campaigning may have already commenced.

Eagle-eyed students may have spotted some out-of-the-ordinary publicity stunts across campus over the past week. The Tab has been contacted by various students claiming to have seen a number elections-style going-ons around Highfield.

Officially, full campaigning in the SUSU elections is only allowed to begin on Saturday 23rd February at 5pm and, according to the lengthy list of rules, candidates must not start campaigning before the designated period. All of the campus shenanigans are not actively promoting a candidate but in under two weeks, when full campaigning kicks off, will we see the same stunts being pulled? Perhaps elections candidates are creatively getting some early publicity but are still sneakily playing within the guidelines.

The week before last, several lectures were hit by students dressing up as a carrot, a rabbit and a banana who proceeded to throw carrots at each other.

The carrot-chucking culprits

Recently a man in a morph suit was spotted making rounds of Hartley Library.

Image Credit: James Thong

The same blue man has been spotted around the interchange:

Last week, the Wessex Wolf was spotted around campus causing mischief and it’s rumoured he might be in the running for VP Sports Development.

The Wessex Wolf studying hard in Hartley

Have you spotted any potential pre-elections campaigning on campus?