Britain Brings Home the Baftas

The Baftas are the British Film Industry’s main time to shine. Hosted before the Oscars, alongside the Golden Globes, it is often seen as a hint for which movies are […]

The Baftas are the British Film Industry’s main time to shine. Hosted before the Oscars, alongside the Golden Globes, it is often seen as a hint for which movies are going to have the most success in Hollywood later on this year.

Hosted by a bearded Stephen Fry, with poorly scripted jokes (unnecessary considering his comic talent and ability), he opened the ceremony by wittily accusing Helen Bonham Carter of alcoholism and rightly making a point of how the Hobbit has been broken into far too many films. The awards were opened by a golden performance by Paloma Faith, who looked like a lifesize award in her floor length golden gown.

Some people such as upcoming star, Juno Temple, managed to keep their “gushing and blushing to the barest minimum”, whilst others, like Anna Hathaway were not so able. The gist of pretty much every acceptance speech was: “Thank you to the cast, crew, my Mum, cat and dog, I’m thrilled to be here. Thanks.” Plus a whole load more waffle.

The surprise of the night came from James Bond finally winning the much deserved accolade of “Outstanding British Film”. Let’s hope it can do it again within the next 50 years!

The best dressed awards should go to Hunger Games star, Jennifer Lawrence, who looked stunning even under her casual black coat, protecting her from the rain. Mentions should also go to Anne Hathaway, who shone in classic Burberry and Jessica Chastain who was the epitome  of elegance in her startling blue Roland Mouret gown.

The overall winner of the night was undoubtedly the recently released Les Miserables, which walked away with four awards overall, with James Bond bringing home two. Hopefully Britain can carry on this award success!

The Winners of the 2013 Baftas: 

Best Film – Argo
Outstanding
 British Film – Skyfall
Leading Actor Daniel Day-Lewis – Lincoln
Leading Actress – Emmanuelle Riva – Amour
Best Supporting Actor – Christoph Waltz – Django Unchained
Best Supporting Actress – Anne Hathaway – Les Miserables
Original ScreenplayDjango Unchained – Quentin Tarantino
Adapted ScreenplaySilver Linings Playbook – David O Russell
Outstanding Debut By A British Writer, Director or Producer – Bart Layton (director) and Dmitri Doganis (producer)The Imposter
Best Animated Film Brave
Best DocumentarySearching for Sugarman
Best Film Not In English LanguageAmour
Best CinematographyLife of Pi
Best Costume DesignAnna Karenina
Best EditingArgo
Best Make Up and HairLes Miserables
Best Original MusicSkyfall
Best Production DesignLes Miserables
Best SoundLes Miserables
Best Special Visual EffectsLife of Pi
Best Short AnimationThe Making of Longbird
Best Short Film Swimmer
Best Rising Star (public vote)Juno Temple