Lucky Latics Grab A Point – Southampton V Wigan

Shaun Maloney’s 90th minute equaliser salvaged a vital point for Wigan and denied Mauricio Pochettino his first win in charge of Southampton. Before kick-off the Saints found themselves three points […]

Shaun Maloney’s 90th minute equaliser salvaged a vital point for Wigan and denied Mauricio Pochettino his first win in charge of Southampton.

Before kick-off the Saints found themselves three points clear of the bottom three while Wigan needed at least a point to have any chance of finishing the day outside of the relegation zone. A meeting between two of the league’s passing sides was always going to be tight, with the midfield battle proving key to the opening stages. Indeed Southampton looked like they would capitalise on their early possession when Rickie Lambert’s cross found Gaston Ramirez in acres of space, however the Uruguayan sent his volley well over the bar.

Lambert strikes a pose after his equaliser – credit: @southamptonfc

Southampton were made to rue this miss eight minutes later when Wigan took the lead. A Jean Beausejour corner found the head of Gary Caldwell and he put away his 1st league goal of the season from 12 yards out. Despite looking a little rattled after the goal, the Saints regained their composure and were on top for the final 10 minutes of the half, with Jos Hooiveld heading narrowly wide from a corner. Indeed they could have grabbed a bizarre equaliser had Ali Al-Habsi not been alive to James McCarthy’s blocked clearance from the edge of the box looping its way towards his goal.

Pochettino made a change at the break, bringing on Steven Davis to replace the disappointing Gaston Ramirez. If the substitution was meant to add a clinical edge to Southampton it certainly didn’t take effect within the first fifteen minutes. Southampton continued to dominate possession but failed to make anything of it, with the first real opportunity of the half coming on the hour mark. Rickie Lambert’s teasing ball across the face of goal evaded the Wigan defenders, but also the onrushing Morgan Schneiderlin.

However in the 64th minute Southampton got the equaliser their overall play had deserved. Jack Cork’s cross found its way to Rickie Lambert who bravely headed home despite the intimidating presence of the Wigan keeper. The next twenty minutes saw the Wigan goal under constant attack. Lallana and Rodriguez both went close, while Lambert was unlucky not to score with a half-volley after good work down the left from Luke Shaw.

The wasted chances spurred the Wigan fans into action, however on the pitch it was a different story, as with five minutes left Rodriguez pulled the ball back from the left for Scheiderlin to slot home from inside the six-yard box. The celebrations from Pochettino on the touchline suggested that Southampton had already won it, a notion which evidently rubbed off on his players. Just five minutes later Paul Scharner – making his second debut for Wigan – knocked down Beausejour’s corner into the path of Shaun Maloney who prodded home at the near post.

Writer’s Comment: A superior possession orientated and attacking display of football against a team that employ similar tactics is encouraging – Southampton could and probably should, have had all three points. What is less encouraging is the lack of a cutting edge. Southampton have put in three ‘encouraging’ performances in a row now but still don’t have a win to show for it. The longer the winless run under Pochettino continues, the more worried the players will get and the closer the drop zone will be. Their next two games? Man City (home), Newcastle (away).

Man Of The Match: Luke Shaw – uncannily good display from a 17 year-old. Defended stoutly and caused havoc on the flank.