Applications on the Increase

Latest figures released by UCAS and the University show that Southampton has experienced an increase in applications for both undergraduate and postgraduate courses. Stats from UCAS show that Southampton received […]

Latest figures released by UCAS and the University show that Southampton has experienced an increase in applications for both undergraduate and postgraduate courses.

Stats from UCAS show that Southampton received a seven percent increase on applications for undergraduate courses, compared to this time last year.

The rise has been seen in the subjects English, History, Maths, Psychology, Social Sciences, Law, Management, Electronics and Computer Science, Ocean and Earth Sciences and Engineering (foundation). The seven percent rise increases to 12% if Medicine applications are excluded.

The 7% increase places Southampton well above the national UK average of a 2.8% increase.

The applications for potential postgraduate courses have massively increased compared to the same time last year. Taught programme applications have risen by 13% whilst research programmes have seen a 36% increase.

Pro-Vice Chancellor (Education), Professor Alex Neill said:

These figures indicate that the hard work and investment we’re putting into what we offer to students is being recognised by applicants. We’ve invested heavily in academic staff who are committed to our educational and research missions, and in new accommodation for students. And we’re committed to a curriculum that both fully prepares our students for employment and allows them to experience our world-class research and teaching in a wide variety of areas.

Last year, Southampton saw 600 less students in its 2012-2013 intake.