Southampton Student Nurses Start Saving Lives

On Monday in this cold and snowy weather, Southampton University’s first year nursing students started their first ever clinical  placement. The University of Southampton takes in 431 undergraduate nursing students on […]

On Monday in this cold and snowy weather, Southampton University’s first year nursing students started their first ever clinical  placement. The University of Southampton takes in 431 undergraduate nursing students on the BN course every year which makes today a significant day for many students. After spending an entire semester gearing up, attending 9-5 lectures and writing assignments, it is no doubt exciting to finally walk up a patient and say; ‘Hello, I’m a student nurse’.

The Tab has asked some nursing students how they are feeling on their first day:

Excited yet nervous I don’t know what to expect. I hope my mentor likes me.

I’m scared I wont know what I am doing and that it will be obvious to my team.

Bring it on! I am excited and I can’t wait for my placement.

I hope I get some good opportunities and that I am able to be more confident as a result.

ITS AMAZING!

Student nurses are the people living with mould growing in their Portswood houses yet maintaining the highest infection control standards (cleaning to the rest of you) whilst on the ward. They are the people who know the train times from St Denys to Portsmouth and the bus route for Shirley and West End. They are the ones that jump into action when you cut yourself on a piece of glass or put you into the recovery position after one too many on a night out.  Student nurses ask housemates questions about their asthma, listen intently when you talk to them about when you broke your wrist and give you tips on getting rid of that pesky cold. Student nurses are getting up for placement when you are still partying in your kitchen and they are the ones walking past Jesters to get an early night.

Student nurses are often under-appreciated because the average student doesn’t really understand what they do. The same can be said for medical students on placement, occupational therapy students, physiotherapy students, student podiatrists and student midwives. These people work with patients everyday during their placements under constant supervision and with on-going assessment. They deliver the highest standard of care and compassion for those people they look after whilst trying to fit in with the team they are working with. Student nurses balance their academic work with their placements and their personal lives to the best of their ability which makes them hard working and strong people. Student nurses are more than the average student.

Do you know a student nurse? If so the next time you see them give them a hug, they deserve it! Have you just started placement? Want to share your stories (whilst remaining confidential of course) tweet us as @SotonTab message us on Facebook or comment below.