FIRE in Halls: ARSON Arrest Made

UPDATE (21/1/13) 11:45 AM: Romero residents have sent us in pictures of 5 emergency service vans, 3 of which are fire investigation vans.  UPDATE 2:45PM: An 18 year old man has been arrested […]

UPDATE (21/1/13) 11:45 AM: Romero residents have sent us in pictures of 5 emergency service vans, 3 of which are fire investigation vans. 

Credt: Tatiana Sieff

Credit: Hattie Cooke

UPDATE 2:45PM: An 18 year old man has been arrested by police on suspicion of ARSON with intent to endanger life.

UPDATE 11:50AM: Romero residents have said police are investigating the cause of the fire and have taken statements from students.

Credit: Andre Gordon

Credit: Lucy Dyer

UPDATE (20/01/13) 10:35am: The Tab has had reports from residents that a bedroom window has been boarded up which is where the fire started. It is believed the fire started in a room in Flat 6 and that the occupants have been housed elsewhere.

Romero Hall is the latest part of Southampton to catch alight, following the recent announcement that Roosters is to be reopened following its fire.

The Soton Tab are getting reports that Romero’s fire alarms went off around 10:30pm with students being evacuated to Gately’s common room.

A student is said to have suffered a seizure.

Several fire engines and an ambulance are in attendance and we will update you with further news as we find it, although little news or information is being given out. Beth Collingwood (@BethColl) tweeted the Tab:

Us Romero survivors are huddled together, praying for warmth. No one’s telling us anything and we have no home.#prayforromero

If you live nearby and have photos or information please tweet us @SotonTab or message us on Facebook.