iSolutions Unveil New Workstation Locator

We’ve all been there: everyone knows how tough it can be finding a free computer on campus.  The problem is usually at its worst in exam season, or when you’re […]

We’ve all been there: everyone knows how tough it can be finding a free computer on campus.  The problem is usually at its worst in exam season, or when you’re in a blind panic three hours before a big deadline.

This map shows the number of free PCs in each building

A new online feature from iSolutions is attempting to put paid to this.  Made possible by the Open Data Service, this workstation locator starts with a campus map, then overlays each building with a number that indicates how many workstations are available inside.  It is also possible to search for the closest computers to you by enabling the location sensor on your phone.  Though the above pages have been around for a few months, the feature may soon be integrated into SUSSED and into the MySouthampton app, which is available for iPhone, Android and Blackberry.

You can even search based on your location!

Coverage extends to all satellite campuses from North Hants Hospital in Basingstoke all the way down to St Mary’s Hospital on the Isle of Wight, taking in Winchester, Avenue and the NOC in between.

Currently finding a free computer in peak times is possible only for the initiated few, who have been at Southampton long enough to know about little-used computer rooms.  Whether opening up this knowledge will help alleviate the pressure on Hartley or whether it will just lead to further clogging across campus remains to be seen.

In other news, real-time bus information is due to be up and running by December, an iSolutions spokesperson confirmed.