WHATSOC? Cake Decorating!

What is the quirkiest SUSU society in existence? Does the mythical pastime of ‘Extreme Ironing’ really exist? Did the University open days lie to us? In the first instalment of […]

What is the quirkiest SUSU society in existence? Does the mythical pastime of ‘Extreme Ironing’ really exist? Did the University open days lie to us? In the first instalment of the Tab’s exciting new feature, we spoke to Sameer Patel, president and founder of the cake decorating society.

1)      So, what exactly does your society do? Give us a quick summary.

We have sessions running every fortnight where members join us and decorate cakes. Usually, we have a set theme for a session which relates to a holiday for that time of year – for example our next session will be based on Halloween. Otherwise we’ll try and practise a certain skills from covering a cake in paste to how to make a perfect rose.

2) Why did you decide to set up the society?

A few friends and I set up the society late last year. I really wanted the challenge of starting a society; leaving a legacy as well as a fast-track to becoming President of something without the hassle of elections!! Cake decorating is something I know fairly well and after the rising popularity of baking etc, it seemed like a no brainer.

3) What’s the best thing about your society?

It’s a lot of fun! No need to take yourself too seriously (unless of course you want to). We have members of all abilities, and they all seem to enjoy it.

4) What’s the most fun social your society has had and why?

As we’re a relatively new society, we’re still yet to have one! But we do have an upcoming ‘dress like a cupcake’ social which should be interesting!

5) Does your society have any weird traditions or stories?

Not yet, although throwing left over sugar paste at each other at the end of our sessions seems to be gradually gaining notoriety…

6) What’s the most impressive cake you’ve ever seen decorated?

Personally, it would have to be a Pink Castle Cake I made for my Mum’s 50th birthday.

7) What’s the worst cake decoration you’ve seen/have there been any major disasters?

Anything that our Publicity Officer Prasana touches!

8 ) Jesters or Sobar?

Sobar.

9) Soton Tab or Wessex Scene?

We would like to remain impartial. Both are great publications.

So, there you have it folks. Watch this space for more WHATSOC, coming soon to The Tab! If you are on the committee of a weird and wonderful society, we’d love to hear from you! Get involved by emailing [email protected]!