Southampton SLIPS in Times World Uni Rankings AGAIN

After TWO university rankings say the University of Southampton is going up in the world, the Times Higher Education brings the University back down to earth. For the third year […]

After TWO university rankings say the University of Southampton is going up in the world, the Times Higher Education brings the University back down to earth.

For the third year in a row, the University of Southampton has dropped down the Times Higher Education World University Rankings (THEWUR) from the dizzying heights of 90 in 2010/11, down to 127 last year and now dumped to number 130 for 2012/13. This leaves Southampton level with the Universities of Lausanne in Switzerland and Copenhagen in Denmark.

This development comes only weeks after the QS World Rankings pegged Southampton at number 73, a shockingly wide gap that highlights the disparity in the ranking systems used by various organisations. Back in May, Southampton placed at number 22 in the UK with 11 other Russell Group universities above them. In the THEWUR, Southampton places at number 18 out of the UK universities listed.

With a baffling array of ranking schemes to choose from, this drop can only have a negative effect on the already troubled recruitment here at Southampton.

SUSU’s VP Academic Affairs, Sasha Watson spoke to The Tab about the confusing array of university rankings:

Comparing ranking tables is difficult because of the way they all weight variables differently, or have different variables even, so on the face of it, it will look odd that we have gone up to 73rd in the QS World rankings, but dropped to 130th in the THE rankings

He continued on to say why Southampton had dropped down the table

Southampton’s score actually increased in the past year, but the overall ranking has dropped due some Universities improving more which comes down to investment in the universities. Asia/ Oceania universities have seen a strong rise in the rankings…. hich begs the question as to why the UK Government is pulling funding away from Universities, which we’re seeing is having a negative impact on all UK Universities.

Update: University statement is below:

It’s always disappointing when the University slips a place or two in any league table but we’re very pleased to continue to be recognised amongst the world’s best universities.

In fact if you look closely at the areas taken into consideration for the rankings, Southampton has improved its rating in virtually all areas including Teaching – reflecting our positive learning environment; Industry income – recognising innovation and entrepreneurial activity; Research – focusing on the volume and world-leading reputation of the University’s work; and Citations – featuring the influence and reach of our research.

The University will continue to work on improving its position as a global institution, recognised for its academic excellence in education and research by students, graduates, employers and academic colleagues around the world.