Summer boredom? CLICK HERE for inspiration!

Bored out of your mind? Family driving you mad? You need to read this.

Another long uni summer is now in full swing; Olympic fever has taken over the country and thousands of students are bored out of their minds. If you’re feeling a tad unmotivated about how to fill the empty days without the delights of Jesters or Sobar, check out The Tab’s top tips to make your summer more pro-active…

__________________________________________________________
1. Get writing! Why not make a blog or, for those of you with bigger dreams… attempt your own novel? You can design your own blog for free with Google blogs. For the really daring: an anonymous one in the style of… http://girlwithaonetrackmind.blogspot.co.uk/

2. Not number 1 so we don’t seem biased, write for The Tab! We’re always open to new ideas and anyone who has a good sense of humour. If you can string along a few sentences and love controversy, check out our writers’ group. We’re a very friendly bunch, we promise!

3. Get muddy: Don’t let the weather put you off! There are festivals-a-plenty going on this summer, and if you’re strapped for cash you could always volunteer in return for your ticket. Take a look at The Tab’s guide to what’s good this summer for a further helping hand here.

4. Join Flickr: Develop your creative eye (or just use Instagram, check this), and get snapping those wild summer parties and share them online with your buds!

5. Go on a cheap day out: No need to run yourself any further into that overdraft to feel entertained – there are plenty of inexpensive places to visit close to Southampton; including the nice n’ cultural Southampton City Art and Bargate Monument Galleries, the New Forest (perfect for romantic walks the morning after…), Shanklin beach for a (possibly rainy) picnic or even an Isle of Wight ghost walk for the brave amongst you! Perhaps even crab fishing in Christchurch. Or if you fancy a new look, go to a clothes swapping event! And if all else fails, REMEMBER: Jesters is still open on Friday and Saturday nights!

6. Go interrailing: Make the most of the discounted Youth Pass whilst you are under 26, whilst exploring Europe with friends! Tickets allow you to take as many trains as you want on travelling days, with prices starting at £30 per country. Info: here.

7. Work abroad: If travelling is just too expensive this summer and you don’t mind somewhere a bit (a lot) grimier than a 5* hotel, why not volunteer in a hostel, in exchange for food and accommodation? See: http://www.helpx.net/ Or work as an au pair, great experience for any linguists!

8. Do something quirky: See Stonehenge on Tour, try some garlic beer , or rollerskiing (who needs hot weather anyway!) in London.

9. Discover the world of work: With such a high quantity of graduates and a worrying lack of jobs, getting work experience could really help you to stand out amongst the crowd. A minor side effect might mean that acting as a responsible adult may make you want to stay a student forever.

10.Get ahead: Read around your subject and become the next annoying student that feels obliged to question every point made in lectures… Disclaimer: this is not advised if you wish to keep your friends.