The Olympics: Always look on the bright side

There are some good reasons to like the Olympics, honest!

The Olympics – travel delays, money and extra stress, right? Well yes, but it’s also much, more than that! Employment, community spirit and celebrating the underdog are just some of the benefits to come of the games.

For the past two months, the Olympic Torch has travelled over 8,000 miles, through 1,000 cities, towns and villages and has been carried by 8,000 torchbearers nominated for their inspirational efforts. In Southampton, the torch was carried by Chris Goodwin; a blind triathlete World Silver Medallist, 26 year old Naomi Pike who organised cycling for charity whilst going through a fight against cancer and Gill Rose who took up running for charity after her husband passed away.  From initial nominations all the way to residents flocking from their houses to cheer in the streets, the Olympics has brought positivity on a local and national scale, with the torch going within 10 miles of 95% of the UK population.

© London Underdogs

With all of this positivity flowing around, we here at The Tab have decided that this year at the Olympics, we are going to cheer on the underdog! Usually team GB fit into this category anyway, so there is no guilt to be felt. Ever heard of Eddie “The Eagle” Edwards, or Eric “The Eel” Moussambani? These people may not be winners, but they certainly give the Olympics real spirit and make the games much more interesting.  The website ‘London Underdogs’ has some inspired posters, and their Facebook and Twitter pages act as news feeds for amusing underdog stories.

Underdogs don’t just come in the form of competitors. They may also be found in the host nation itself, and our hats go off to the organizers for all the hard work that they have put into the smooth running of the games.

Games Makers, including over 2,000 young people, are volunteering over the Olympic period to help visitors find their way and attempt to ensure everything runs like clockwork. All the people who have been rehearsing non-stop for their performances in the celebratory opening ceremony equally deserve a mention.

We are pretty excited about the games, and we’ll be keeping an eye out for the underdogs.

Are you involved with the Olympics? Get in touch! Email [email protected] and let us know your views!