Student PHOTOSHOPPED for Uni Prospectus

A student has been photoshopped for Southampton’s 2013 undergraduate prospectus in order to promote modesty and thus attract more international students to the University.  Ella Dove, Co-Editor-in-Chief of The Tab, […]

A student has been photoshopped for Southampton’s 2013 undergraduate prospectus in order to promote modesty and thus attract more international students to the University. 

Ella Dove, Co-Editor-in-Chief of The Tab, spotted that her shoulders and knees had been covered by the lengthening of her shorts to form three-quarter length trousers and the addition of sleeves to her summer blouse.

Sleeves had been added to Ella's blouse and her shorts were extended past her knees

A phone call with the University’s Communications and Marketing department yielded the following response:

Our colleagues in the International Office felt that culturally, some students would prefer to see a more conservative dress, including the covering of shoulders and knees”.

Whilst Ella did not hugely mind about the decision to photoshop her image, she did feel ‘it would have been nice to be asked’. Facebook comments of the picture she posted included ‘can I borrow your stripey ¾ lengths please?’, ‘Oh my gosh, they REALLY do that?!’ and ‘Love how in their efforts to be conservative, you now just look like you’re lounging around in your PJs’.

However, this does beg the question: how many other images have been tampered with? If you’ve noticed a photoshopped image in any University publication, we’d love to find out! Email [email protected] and let us know!