Operation Moralfag

Having read The Tab’s latest article about simple acts of kindness strangers can do it got me thinking. Such acts of kindness are indeed what makes us human however does […]

Having read The Tab’s latest article about simple acts of kindness strangers can do it got me thinking. Such acts of kindness are indeed what makes us human however does it stop at doing something for a stranger in the street? Whilst procrastinating during this exam period I, like countless others, had turned my attention to YouTube on one too many occasions. The majority of you would have ordinarily used YouTube to listen to a song or what some hilarious mishap though it is unsurprising that millions turn to YouTube as a tool to have their voices heard. Whilst traipsing YouTube looking for the next level of procrastination I discovered a user who has upload over 200 videos and had over 1 million views. These figures would ordinarily look substandard compared to the likes of Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga however neither of them are 92 years old.

Stan has many hats in his collection

Stanleyrr, or Stan as his friends call him, is a blogger and YouTube activist who posts ordinary uploads short reviews of films he has been to see, however his videos do have a tendency of turning into a political rant about the ‘self-centred rightwingers who are the parasites of society’. It is unquestionable that his videos can be hilarious and if not slightly bizarre at times, however it did get me wondering just how this guy has over 40,000 subscribers?!

Stan I hope you realize how much you mean to us.. you have taught us the true definition of style, class, and fearlessness – foursouls305

Stan rocking yet another familiar hat

After a bit of research the answer was not what I’d expected but gave me a bit of a warm fuzzy feeling inside. The internet community 4chan (who is normally synonymous with hacking attacks) appear to have shown their softer sides under what they dubbed ‘operation moralfag’, with the sole purpose of brightening up an old man’s day. Over 50,000 comments later and a giant spike in his audience it seems that Stan isn’t letting his new-found fame go to his head despite a lot of his followers encouraging him to put some ads on his videos to make some cash Stan hasn’t sold us out but it made me realise… Even the so-called ‘dark side of the internet’ has a heart and no matter what side of the world you are on, it is always possible to do something small that might just make an old man’s day.

You are truly an amazing person Stan. You may or may not care about how many views or subscribers you now have but just know that there’s thousands of us who wholeheartedly support you and enjoy hearing your opinion. – TIGAHRAWR