Moose Rugby: National Champions

To those who don’t study medicine, “The Moose” is a name that may not mean much. For those in the know, The Moose is the award-winning Hospital Rugby Team of […]

The Moosemen, victorious

To those who don’t study medicine, “The Moose” is a name that may not mean much. For those in the know, The Moose is the award-winning Hospital Rugby Team of the University of Southampton

This year, the Moosemen have crushed all in their path in their journey to be national champions. After hammering Peninsular 96-0 and coming second in the group stages, the Moose pressed on in tight matches against  Bristol. Losing twice to Cardiff, a team ranked two leagues higher than SURFC, the momentum wasn’t lost. In the quarter finals, Imperial Medics were the next team to fall, losing 79-3. In a tense semi-final match against Birmingham, the Moose came from behind to win 11-9.

In a nail biting final at Bath’s Recreation Ground, the Moose beat Nottingham on the 28th of April. Down 3 points to 5 at half time, the Moose defence kept Nottingham out until unfortunately conceding a penalty kick. With five minutes left on the clock, the Moose took advantage of a Nottingham offside with Mavis scoring the long awaited try to take the lead. In the dying minutes, the Moose dominated Nottingham, denying them any opportunity to pull ahead. Final score: 10-8.

Man of the Match and stand-out player all season was Adam Davies. Described as “precociously talented”, Davies regularly embarrassed the opposition. Up-and-coming fresher Matt Jones has made a big impression this year and is one to watch for future tournaments.

The Moose are vital to the spirit of the Medical School, according to Andrew Lace. NAMS, the National Association of Medical Schools Rugby (NAMS), is like BUCS to regular AU teams. It is the most important competition for anyone involved in Medics’ Rugby. Some disparaging commenters have described the Moose as just another intra-mural team; Lace says:

We’re keen to take on Uni again this year we appreciate that they have a lot more to lose than us but if they’re going to give this “intra-mural” banter I think they should back it up.

Buoyed by their successes last weekend, the Moose are soon

off to the NAMS Sevens competition, defending their trophy again as they have for the past two years.