BRAND NEW Sainsbury's opens in Portswood

By 8.27am this morning, a large crowd of both locals and students alike had gathered outside the new Sainsbury’s Portswood in anticipation of its grand opening at 9.00am. Spurred on […]

By 8.27am this morning, a large crowd of both locals and students alike had gathered outside the new Sainsbury’s Portswood in anticipation of its grand opening at 9.00am.

Spurred on by the simple pleasure of a new food store and the possibility of freebies, the crowd stood eagerly by the automatic doors of the new supermarket while last-minute preparations went on inside.

The convenience of another Portswood supermarket and the 240 new jobs created are among just a few of the benefits that the new Sainsbury’s has to offer.
On top of this, the store is hoping to benefit the community by charity work; store manager Pete Harriman said “we are excited to be choosing our local charity of the year partner shortly after we open, so will be interested to hear from any local groups”.

Despite this, not everyone in the crowd was happy about the new superstore.

A solitary (and mute) protester was stood on the roadside throughout, bearing a modest sign saying “SAINSBURY’S POLLUTING PORTSWOOD”, and was soon joined by a woman holding a similar board.

The anonymous protester

Rumour has it by 9.15am the number of protesters had risen to 3.

Inside, however, it was as if Christmas had come early. Free Bucks Fizz was being handed out like water (yes, even at 9am), customers filled the pristine aisles, and sparkling witticisms were being popped out left right and centre from the Nectar card assistant who signed up Luke O’Brien and I onto the scheme after we were caught taking a socially unacceptable amount of complimentary sweets; “right, now let me do this young lady…as the vicar said to the nun”, was one of his many banterous gems.

The huge crowd swarms around the entrance

Surge Radio’s own David Gilani beat the rush by being the first person to buy something in the store.

Rumour has it that a certain group of students wanted to be the first ones to defecate in the store’s toilets; Soton Tab were unable to find out whether they fulfilled their aim.

As well as food the store also includes a TU clothing range, a homeware range, and even a pizza bar. There is also a children’s playground outside.

Luke O'Brien tests the play area

Impressive offers include 2 garlic baguettes for 85p (half price), Taste the Difference white Swiss chocolate Easter bunny eggs for £3 (half price), and 3 bottles of Bulmers for £5.