Saints send Tykes packing

Saints moved closer to automatic promotion with a comfortable if unspectacular win over Barnsley at St Mary’s. With both West Ham and Reading in action, Adkins’ Southampton needed a win […]

Saints moved closer to automatic promotion with a comfortable if unspectacular win over Barnsley at St Mary’s.

With both West Ham and Reading in action, Adkins’ Southampton needed a win to maintain their gap at the top of the table.

Southampton came out on top on a beautiful day at St Mary's

Southampton started the game well, Lambert drawing a good save after reacting quickest to a defensive mix-up in the Barnsley defence. Both teams continued to attack but the final ball was poor and clear cut chances were at a premium.

Saints opened the scoring just after the half hour when Rickie Lambert headed into the path of Adam Lallana, who took a touch before driving the ball beyond the reach of Barnsley keeper Luke Steele.

Just after half time Tadanari Lee broke down the left hand channel and showed composure to cut inside and pick out Lallana well, who rifled the ball home for his second goal.

Lallana could have had a hattrick had his penalty appeal not been turned down after he was barged over in the box.

Saints were content to retain possession of the ball and restrict Barnsley to half chances. Danny Rose almost pulled one back however with 20 minutes to go with a flicked header that hit the base of the post with Davis watching on helplessly.

Jos Hooiveld then made a rare foray forward to the delight of the home fans and unleashed a thunderbolt which Steele could only parry, before collecting the ball just as Sharp was waiting to pounce.

A routine victory for Southampton then, with Barnsley failed to register a single shot on target. With West Ham drawing at home to Doncaster, their 4th straight home draw, Saints are now 3 points clear at the top of the table.

Final Score: Southampton 2 – 0 Barnsley