Valentines' Day the student way?

How would you react if you were given a 7p card for Valentines’ Day? It’s the thought that counts… right?

In case your facebook news feed has failed you, allow me to introduce the 7p Valentines’ Day card (courtesy of Asda smart price), the inside of which reads “My love for you is priceless”. How romantic. Can the excuse of ‘I’m a student!” get you by on this one?

Romance in austerity Britain...

Valentines’ Day is one of the most commercialised events in the western calendar. These days it’s sadly known to most people only by the nauseating pink stands full of bears, chocolate and everything heart shaped that fill the shops. However, anyone who’s seen the film Valentines’ Day will know that the festival is dedicated to the Roman priest who wed Christian couples in secret because they were forbidden from marrying at the time.

If you look back to these humble beginnings, it makes you realise that on Valentines’ Day it’s the thought that counts, and possibly being a bit more romantic than you would normally. Cliché I know, but this can be expressed in different ways by different people. One of my friends informed me recently that her Valentines’ plans with her boyfriend (at uni 150 miles away) consist of each of them ordering a takeaway, getting it delivered to the other, and eating it while on Skype together. To me, this seems so sweet that I can’t put it into words because it’s just so personal…it suits both of their routines, they’re thinking about each other, and no-one else is celebrating in that way.

Just one of the many themed stalls that spring up at this time of year. More sickly than a Jesticle.

In stark contrast however, another girl I knew (at 17) was treated to a hotel in London and tickets to Royal Ballet in Covent Garden (with some Swarovski casually thrown in).This is of course sweet too, but not something I could ever engage with. Does the latter example make the former seem pretty superfluous? Maybe. But could you take it one step further and say that the hotel couple love each other more? Nah. Sometimes, reverse psychology definitely kicks in – are the couples who make a huge fuss over Valentines’ Day those who feel that they need to ‘prove’ their relationship? ‘Prove’ that they’re in love?

I wouldn’t say that a couple’s love for each other is reflected by the effort they make on one universally-celebrated day of the year, but apparently it is. Several girlfriends of mine claimed that they would kick up a fuss if they received the 7p card, as did several users on online money-saving forum hotukdeals.com:

“To all the people who pay 7p for a Valentines card…..good luck with your next partner!”

But I was also relieved to see that some people saw the funny side…
“Will go great with the £1 nipple tassles from Poundland :P”
“I’m tempted to for a laugh but I doubt she will find it funny after i forgot her birthday lol”
And “Seems like too mighty an investment if you think about it.. sure she will have more enjoyment in the kitchen making me a sandwich than a 7p card :]” (Let’s not go there on that one…)

Here are a few do’s and don’ts for Valentines’ Day:

Do:

• Discuss it. It doesn’t have to be a massive surprise. If you disagree with Valentines’ Day in general, then check that they feel the same way!
  • Plan ahead: restaurants will all be heaving.
  • Go for it: single? It’s the one day of the year it’s socially accepted to tell someone how you feel (anonymous or not, taken or single). To quote the film again: “on Valentines’ Day you don’t think, you just do”

Don’t: Forget.