Drinkify, the site for drunken music fanatics…

A brilliant combination of music and drinking for those rainy days.

Students of Southampton! Have you ever been listening to some music and wondered “What drink would go perfectly with this?” Well now, you need wonder no longer – help is at hand at with http://drinkify.org/, a website dedicated to helping you solve this issue.

While browsing the page of a band I particularly enjoy, who have only recently reunited to record new material (it was the Casket Lottery, if you’re interested), I chanced across Drinkify, the premise of which is simple – enter literally any artist or band you can think of, and then click the big green ‘WHAT SHOULD I DRINK?’ button. The results can be hilarious, disgusting and illegal, and sometimes all three at once.

Lil Jon getting into the spirit of the game

Now of course, it isn’t an absolutely perfect system; there are repeats, and also drinks that aren’t available over here in dear old Blighty (Pabst Blue Ribbon, anyone?). But for the most part, it’s bloody good fun, especially if you have the moxie to try some of these outrageous combinations while listening to the artist you’ve chosen. Here are some of my personal favourites, which you might even want to try, although in some cases I do recommend that you mix the entire lot in a large container and dole it out in glass sized portions, as it literally isn’t possible to get some of the quantities mentioned into one glass.

‘The Mastodon’ – 2 oz. LSD, 2 oz. Egg, 1 oz. Cognac – Combine in shaker and strain into cocktail glass. Serve. Garnish with wedge of pineapple.

‘The Joy Division’ – 2 oz. Vodka, 2 oz. Lemon Juice, 1 Bottle Schnapps – Combine in shaker and strain into cocktail glass. Serve. Garnish with olive.

‘The Johnny Cash’ – 4 oz. Jack Daniels Tennessee Whiskey, 4 oz. Honey – Combine in highball glass and serve. Stir quickly.

‘The Cancer Bats’ – 1 oz. Southern Comfort, 1 oz. Grenadine – Combine in highball glass and serve.

‘The Social Distortion’ – 1 oz. Jack Daniels Tennessee Whiskey, 1 oz. Lemon Sour, 1 oz. Pineapple Juice – Combine in highball glass and serve. Stir vigorously. Garnish with fresh berries.

And finally, a fictional one that I would like to see appear; this isn’t what actually happens if you put this group into Drinkify, but it should be.

‘The One Direction’ – 1.oz cyanide, 1 oz. Water – Combine with ice in highball glass. Stir vigorously. Swallow quickly. End suffering.

There you are folks, a new way for you to waste more of your precious time. I don’t know about you, but I’d love to see some of these become actual cocktails – the ‘Cancer Bats’ sounds very tasty indeed. Have fun, and see where Drinkify takes you!

http://drinkify.org/