Vodka Tampons – the Absurd Binge Fad

The ante has officially been upped for getting riotously drunk as quickly and stealthily as possible. On both sides of the atlantic, German and US teenagers have been indulging in […]

The ante has officially been upped for getting riotously drunk as quickly and stealthily as possible. On both sides of the atlantic, German and US teenagers have been indulging in a dangerous, dignity-stripping fad sometimes known as ‘backbacking’.

The method is simple and thoroughly gross: the teens soak their tampons in vodka, promptly shoving them up their yahoos in an attempt to get as inebriated as possible without detection and reprimand.

According to German papers a 14-year-old girl collapsed during a festival on the streets of Konstanz in March, extremely intoxicated after imbibing alcohol in this bizarre fashion.

American doctors have already given public warnings about the damage that can be done. According to one TV doctor, the vaginal walls will purportedly ‘crack and break due to burns’, if in prolonged contact with alcohol. The terrifying description is enough to think these teens utterly bonkers for even trying it.

Could this trend ever spread to the UK? The British binge drinking culture is already a major concern among doctors and officials.

As schools crack down on kids imbibing alcohol in school, perhaps British students looking to get stealthily ratfaced in Physics might get wind of this inventive and plainly gross way to get drunk fast. The reality is that no matter how alcohol is taken, a breathalyser can still detect it.

University students, however, will most likely stick to what they already know: the cornea-destroying trend of ‘vodka eyeballing’, known to some as doing an ‘Eyeball Paul’ – a binge fad as equally hazardous.

For the sake of dignity and health, I hope this fad enjoys nothing more than a short period – excuse the pun – of curiosity among these crazy teens.