Mumps Epidemic GRIPS Southampton

A violent outbreak of mumps is devastating the student population of Southampton, unfortunately coinciding with a time of heavy workload half way through semester two. There are currently estimated to be 15 […]

A violent outbreak of mumps is devastating the student population of Southampton, unfortunately coinciding with a time of heavy workload half way through semester two.

There are currently estimated to be 15 cases within Southampton University, with many more likely to be unreported. Many students may be unaware that they have mumps as a person is contagious 5 days before they show any symptoms, and then for another 9 days after they notice coming down with the disease.

For most students, mumps is a fabled disease they have heard of but never experienced. But due to a decline in the rate of immunisation, mumps is back with a vengeance.

The problem is, in student areas, mumps spreads like wildfire. What with everyone living in close proximity, sharing glasses and cutlery and basically getting off with each other all the time, mumps has got a perfect breeding ground.

The stereotypical symptom of mumps is swollen glands in the neck, but other tell-tale signs include headaches, a rash and (for the blokes) swollen testicles. Don’t worry though, the disease is “self limiting” which means it will go away in due course. Unfortunately, while waiting for it to go away, you will experience some unpleasantness.

If you think you or a friend has mumps, keep yourself in isolation and contact your GP.