DISTRACTING and MIND BLOWING Websites Volume Two

1) When asked to name an exciting contemporary poet, Simon Armitage (of GCSE Anthology fame, a man who probably knows what he’s talking about) apparently replied ‘Eminem’, and I’m inclined […]

1) When asked to name an exciting contemporary poet, Simon Armitage (of GCSE Anthology fame, a man who probably knows what he’s talking about) apparently replied ‘Eminem’, and I’m inclined to agree with him. However, for those without enough knowledge of grimey inner city slang to make a decision about the merits of hip-hop lyrics (most of us then), this site is most informative- and given rap’s obsession with drug dealing and promiscuous bootylicious girls, downright hilarious. Reading some of the analysis here will certainly make you feel more enlightened about what you’re drunkenly mumbling along to at Sobar on a Tuesday night. Who knew that Jay Z’s 99 Problems actually isn’t a misogynist rant? Not I. HIT ME.

2) Obviously The Tab is your first port of call for breaking news and side splitting views, but it is helpful to get a wider perspective of the world every now and again- after all, there is a little more to it than leafy Highfield and the slum of Portswood. But rather than stoically sticking to one biased newspaper (that’ll be The Guardian, then) try this news compilation thingy for size. I reckon it’s reasonably astounding, and that bastard Murdoch doesn’t own it yet. KNOWLEDGE IS POWER.

3) What with wall to wall cookery programmes on TV it’s hard to escape from having healthy eating ideas being jammed so forcefully down our throats that we find ourselves vomiting crap about salads and low carbs every time we start talking about food. Luckily, Epic Meal Times are doing their best to encourage us to move on from these dangerous notions and return to glorious not-giving-a-shit hedonism before we worry ourselves to death. Hey, these guys aren’t fat so obviously eating this sort of thing is absolutely fine- but I did feel my arteries clogging up just watching this. It’s like a foodie version of 300.