THE SPICE GIRLS TO RELEASE ANOTHER ALBUM?

Unfortunately not quite… So it’s been almost 4 years since their last, and seemingly final, reformation, which garnered a mediocre single, ‘Headlines’, a chart-topping Greatest Hits album, and a tour […]

Unfortunately not quite…

So it’s been almost 4 years since their last, and seemingly final, reformation, which garnered a mediocre single, ‘Headlines’, a chart-topping Greatest Hits album, and a tour profiting $70 million worldwide. Finally, the rumour cycle has spun again, and is hinting another Spice Girls album release for this year.

The ever reliable sources have revealed that an album of unreleased tracks could be compiled, just in case we forgot about the girl band who sold 75 million records. “From a possible 60 tracks, three or four would be guaranteed No1s and there’s definitely a solid album’s worth from the songs”, a source told The Mirror. “Although such a release would generate millions, it’s not about the money”. Yeah, right. Try telling Simon Fuller that!

Viva Forevr? There's growing doubt surrounding a repeat of this in 2012

Unsurprisingly, if this were to happen, suggestions of another tour would be banded about. But for the band who turned down the opportunity to perform at the opening ceremony of the London 2012 Olympics, this would seem highly unlikely.

Since the band’s last tour, each members are now mothers, with Melanie C giving birth to her daughter in 2009. Not to mention Victoria Beckham currently being pregnant with a long awaited baby girl, and Emma Bunton due to pop in May of this year- an album and promotional tour would be highly inconvenient. Although Geri Halliwell has been fairly anonymous of late and Melanie B’s US career stalling since the departure of Eddie Murphy and lack or reality TV opportunities, there could be some hope, yet other members seem to be more wary:

“Victoria has a hugely successful career as a designer and is pregnant. She’d rather distance herself from the group to concentrate on that. She’s not keen to revisit the Spice Girls days. Also, if Simon Fuller doesn’t feel the timing is right, Emma and Geri don’t want to go against him. But it is safe to say this divide is causing friction within the group”.

Any sort of reunion would surely tarnish the legacy of the band. Memories of Girl Power, platform trainers and Union Jack dresses would be replaced by images of five thirty-somethings trying to remain in the headlines. Although a reunion of some sorts would please most fans, it would lack the sparkle of being a special musical occasion and discredit the previous tour. One reunion was enough- it allowed their teenage fans to revisit their childhood. After all, this is the same band who sung “Too much of something, is bad enough”.

On a more exciting note, Ab Fab star, Jennifer Saunders has confirmed she is writing a musical, entitled Viva Forever, using various hits from the girl band. Judy Craymer, who produced the ABBA musical Mamma Mia! revealed that the show will feature a “new contemporary story about friendship, celebrity and fame”. Due to hit the West End in 2012 this is certainly something to look forward to.