House of Commons: Where did it all go wrong?

Once a commoner, always a commoner.

It would not be unfair to say that the character of a country is commonly linked with their leadership. To name a few, Russia formally defined by Stalin, now carries the reputation largely associated with Putin. Vietnam undoubtedly is defined by Ho Chi Minh and the USA is stereotyped through Bush. So where does that leave us? Some might say that through Churchill, Britain stands for strength, unity and freedom. Others might say Thatcher is a symbol of Britain’s determination and drive. However since we are defined by the present leadership, where are we now?

The cross party expenses scandal was a stark awakening for the British public. MPs were dipping their fingers into the pot largely without justification other than the usual ‘everyone does it’ defence.  This raises the question of whether the House of Commons fully realise that they are servants of the people. To cherry pick another, the 1997 under-age gay lover scandal with Jerry Hayes further reinforces the fear that our elected body appear to fail even at the most basic of moral decisions. The House of Commons define this country, and from where I sit they appear to be doing a poor job at it.

I guess the clue is in the name: House of Commons. We are lead by those who are elected by the people, from the people and as a result continue to act like the people. So really by looking at the state of our country the actions of the MPs are not that unusual.

Once a commoner, always a commoner.

I wonder if our greatest mistake was removing power form the House of Lords. The majority of these individuals are from great family lineages or more recently, appointed for being successful members of society. As a result the House of Lords is full to the brim with exactly the type of role models our country so desperately desires.

Now of course I am not suggesting that we revert back to a monarchy. But what I do put to you is that if our international reputation is so heavily reliant upon our leadership, might we be better represented partially by the House of Lords again?

After all, they are better than us.