What’s Happened to Monday Nights?

Monday night. For Southampton students it can mean only one thing, Monday Madness at Jesters! Or does it? The Tab has been out and about in Southampton gathering facts on […]

Monday night. For Southampton students it can mean only one thing, Monday Madness at Jesters! Or does it? The Tab has been out and about in Southampton gathering facts on the infamous 50p pint night at “The Palace of Dreams”.

The allure of 20 pints for a tenner has been a huge draw to many impoverished students in years gone by. Last year, if you wanted to avoid the queues at the door, you would have to fight through the doors of Clowns Wine Bar at 7 in hopes of getting a ticket down into Jesters.

This year however, it is a completely different story in Bevois Valley. Bar staff at Clowns have been sent home at 9.30, Jesters was empty until 11. Sobar was forced this week to run its flagship SO:Crazy event on Thursday to draw in some customers. Unfortunately, when they did make it to Sobar, the club was without a DJ.

Fresh Magazine nightlife guide

Some point to the Southampton University Student’s Union to the fall in attendance in Portswood’s venues. The “Fresh” magazine sent out to first year students featured an unflattering portrayal of the bars in Bevois Valley. It described The Hobbit as “nerdy” and Jesters as a “fire trap” It is rumoured that the student committees, Junior Common Rooms (JCRs) have been ordered not to promote the Jesters/Sobar double act.

However, the vagaries of British weather must be taken into account. With night time temperatures plunging well below zero, many students have been less than keen to move from under their duvets. Also, with deadlines and dissertations looming, academic concerns may well be keeping people indoors and sober!