Undercover at Charity Speed Dating

Last Thursday night I went undercover at the Private Rented Society’s speed dating charity event in 90 degrees Penthouse. The plan was simple, 15 guys, 15 girls, 2 minute dates. […]

Last Thursday night I went undercover at the Private Rented Society’s speed dating charity event in 90 degrees Penthouse. The plan was simple, 15 guys, 15 girls, 2 minute dates. Surprisingly we found the guys cowering behind their pints, and most of the girls with short skirts, overdone make-up and un-amused faces.

“HONK”, and the first date was underway. Sitting in front of me was this cute brown haired girl who proceeded to spill on how she felt old, and she was doing medicine, and she’d never done anything like this before, and she didn’t know what to expect, and how she had been dragged along by her housemates. It was a lot to take in, but I loved her enthusiasm.

We had been given these tables to fill out with interesting facts from the dates, which got thoroughly abused. After about six dates, I sat at a new table in complete awe. I recognised this girl. I recognised her A LOT! It was the star from the video “sluts in cake”. We proceeded to have a pretty simple conversation where I kept schtum that I knew she was in the movie but packed my facts box with the term ‘sluts in cake’ as much as possible.LOL. Considering we only had a two minute encounter, she didn’t seem all that bad, although I knew that she did feature in that ridiculous movie and loved the attention she got from it.

A few more dates down and I came to a girl on her phone. “What’s your name, what do you study?” she mumbled as she was texting someone, followed up with “I have a boyfriend and I’m filling in for someone”, right, well…interesting fact? B*tch. That was so rude, we were all there for a charity event, and this girl was obviously unhappy with her boyfriend if she acted like that. Being the charming guy that I am I didn’t snap at her, just mentioned that it was wonderful to meet her and tipped off the next guy to “have a nice date”.

Me dating the beautiful "Darcy"

The speed dating ended with a shout out of the best interesting facts. Oh crap, “apparently Number 58 starred in ‘sluts in cake’” the whole room roared with laughter as they’d all thought it, but no-one said it. She buried her head and swiftly left. At the end there was a people auction, which raised £300, great for leukaemia, even though it was quite perverse, and an after party where the DJ playing had apparently been told he was too bad to work at jesters which was clearly illustrated by the stopping of songs midway, a one second gap and then starting another song by the same artist.

Looking back, I met some brilliant, hard working girls, it was definitely something I would do again or might even try and do as a fundraiser for one of my causes. Well done Private Rented on raising £767 for the Anthony Nolan Trust you guys worked hard and it paid off do it again soon!