Collider Recreates The Big Bang – And We’re Still Here

There has been speculation and worries over the years that the experiments conducted at Cern will create a black hole which will cause the earth to implode.

Scientists at Cern, the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), recreated a ‘mini big-bang’ yesterday by smashing together lead ions at a velocity close to the speed of light.

The experiment, spookily named ‘ALICE’, created temperatures 1 million times hotter than the sun, by creating what Dr Evans, from the University of Birmingham, described as “sub-atomic fireballs”.

The LHC, a 16.7 mile long ring, is located underground on the French-Swiss border near Geneva.

The LHC: A scientific blessing or the doom of us all?

There has been speculation and worries over the years that the experiments conducted at Cern will create a black hole which will cause the earth to implode in on itself.

While the scientists there assure us that all experiments are conducted in a “safe and controlled environment”, two years ago due at a time when experiments were due to commence, a technical fault caused a tonne of liquid to leak into the particle accelerator.