These reasons prove why Sheffield is absolutely the best city to host Eurovision 2023

Seven UK cities have made the shortlist to host the song contest

The Eurovision Song Contest is an annual holiday, it’s the event that everyone looks forward to.

Last year, the UK’s very own Sam Ryder came second, losing to Ukraine. Organisers decided the contest can’t be held in Ukraine next year, so the UK has the honour of hosting.

Seven cities across England and Scotland have made the shortlist to host Eurovision, and they are: Birmingham, Glasgow, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle and Sheffield.

Councillor Ben Miskell has launched Sheffield’s campaign to bring Eurovision to the city, and we’re completely behind him.

Here’s why Sheffield should host the Eurovision Song Contest 2023.

1. Sheffield has the perfect venue

The Utilita can hold up to 13,600 people, and is super easy to get to. Although it’s outside of the centre, there’s motorways and tram-links around it, allowing for easy access.

Plus, our very own Pulp and Arctic Monkeys have played the Utilita. It’s an iconic venue!

2. Sheffield is twinned with a Ukrainian city

Not only does the UK have the honour of hosting the contest for Ukraine, but Sheffield is actually twinned with a Ukrainian city named Donetsk.

It’s written in the stars!

3. Sheffield’s music scene

Sheffield is known for its vibrant and expressive culture, especially in terms of music. The indie scene would be nothing without Sheffield, since it’s home to many popular acts; Arctic Monkeys, Pulp, The Human League and Def Leppard to name a few.

Tramlines Festival is a true example of the growing music scene in Sheffield, with Eurovision 2022’s runner-up Sam Ryder performing there, amongst many other well-known acts.

One of Sheffield’s most notorious venues is The Leadmill, which boasts a nightclub and frequent live music events. Oasis, Pulp, Coldplay and The Killers are a few names that have previously graced the Leadmill stage.

With such a diverse music scene, Sheffield is the perfect candidate city to host Eurovision.

South Yorkshire’s mayor Oliver Coppard has said: “Crack open the bucks fizz, Eurovision are making their minds up – and the only correct choice is Sheffield and South Yorkshire.”

He continued: “I’ve previously said that Sheffield seemed the obvious choice to host next year’s Eurovision Song Contest, you’d have to be a spaceman not to. But I will say it again – we have the venues, the heritage, the track record and the passion that Eurovision deserves in such an important year for the contest, that would be held in solidarity with our friends and partners in Ukraine.”

The hosting city is expected to be revealed in Autumn.