The Tramlines Community: ‘The Open Arms’ returns for 2022

Tramlines Festival have also announced the return of ‘Speakers Corner’

Tramlines 2022 takes place this year from July 22-24 at Hillsborough Park. Headliners Sam Fender, Kasabian and Madness will be joining a huge array of musicians and artists.

The Tramlines Trust was announced in February of this year as a new project for 2022 named “Tramlines in the Community”.

The Trust is now open and ready to accept applications for funding. Projects, organisations and charities are invited to apply for grants of up to £500 or in some circumstances, £1000.

The Trust does not require that you are a registered or existing charity or organisation. Individuals and new groups are welcome to apply, however the project must advance purely charitable purposes. The deadline for applications is Friday 1st July 2022. To find out more about the requirements and to make an application please visit https://tramlines.org.uk/tramlines-in-the-community/charity/the-tramlines-trust/

Tramlines has also announced the return of Speakers Corner which will feature a range of acts curated by hip hop poet Otis Mensah and features a huge range of emerging talent in the field of spoken word and poetry. Otis has described the stage as being, “dedicated to honest, vulnerable expression, showcasing poetic integrity”.

He has selected some excellent, challenging and thought provoking acts for the weekend including mellow vibes from AKA Kellz and deep lyricism from Simon A. The full line-up for Speakers Corner also includes, Maria Nkere, Reya Saint, Lucy DK, Rae De Soleil, Mouse Teeth, Arielle Cottingham, Treasure Bloom, Brandon Grey and Jah-Mir Early.

Timm Cleasby, Head of Operations for Tramlines said ‘Tramlines has always supported a variety of charities and good causes over the years and it feels like we’re taking it to the next level with the launch of the Tramlines Trust.

“We will be ‘amping up the money that we raise on site and now we’re in a position to support many more Sheffield campaigns – I can’t wait to see some fantastic projects come to fruition.”

The Open Arms was a new venue for 2021 and after a huge success it will return in 2022. This tented stage has the feel of a local pub or small venue.

Algernon Cornelius – Tramlines

The stage will play host to music from various local community projects in Sheffield, Speakers Corner curated by Otis Mensah and festival favourites like Barrioke (ft. Shaun Williamson) and Club Tropicana.

The Open Arms has an emphasis on social inclusion, diversity and interactive activities. Musical groups from Under the Stars will perform. Under the Stars is a disability arts charity based in Hillsborough, just minutes from the site who have a long history of involvement with Tramlines. Also performing will be a children’s music group from PACES, a Sheffield charity and school for individuals with Cerebral Palsy and motor disorders.

Also included in Speakers Corner is SLAMBARZ which features short sets of poetry and music from young up and coming performers. The Hive is the hub for young writer activity in the South Yorkshire region, Slambarz is an open mic project working in partnership with The Hive to provide a space for young spoken word artists, run by Dominic Heslop also known as The 1 Devotion.

The festival is set to be a huge success with tickets for this year being sold out in record time.

Relive the Tramlines 2021 highlights after movie on YouTube here.

Keep up to date with all the latest news and announcements at www.facebook.com/tramlines­.

Related stories recommended by this writer

‘I forgot Covid existed’: What it was actually like to go to Tramlines Festival 2021

Sheffield does not have a gay scene: LGBTQ+ students on Sheffield’s gay scene

‘Boys running for the bus and missing it’: Sheffield’s biggest icks