Sheffield universities reintroduce compulsory mask wearing on campus

‘Unless you’re exempt, please wear a face covering’

Sheffield universities have confirmed compulsory mask-wearing for students on campus to prevent the spread of the new Omicron Covid variant.

Uni of and Sheffield Hallam’s Covid updates follow the new measures set out by the Prime Minister in response to the new Covid variant.

On Saturday night, Boris Johnson issued tighter restrictions, with the return of mandatory face covering inside shops and on public transport.

In an email, Sheffield University said students must wear a face covering indoors on campus. The university also reminded students of other preventative measures to help stop the spread of Covid, including taking two weekly Covid tests, washing hands regularly and staying at home if feeling unwell.

Sheffield Hallam also issued guidance on compulsory mask-wearing for students on campus.

Hallam Tweeted: “Everyone should wear face coverings at uni: when moving around indoors, in all communal indoor spaces, including lifts, when you interact with support staff and when asked during teaching.

“Unless you’re exempt, please wear a face covering.”

The tweet linked the university’s full list of Covid guidelines, which included taking two Covid tests a week, using Hallam QR codes for track and trace purposes and ensuring the hands, face space and fresh air policy is observed on campus.

Hallam said students must ensure they report positive Covid tests to the university and self isolate immediately.