Six reasons why you should visit the Sheffield Christmas markets this year

As if the mulled wine and Frankfurts aren’t enough temptation…

It’s that time of year again. The city centre has been lit up with dazzling lights, decorated with festivities and the Sheffield Christmas markets have returned. Visiting the Christmas markets is a highlight for the majority of student’s in Sheffield and after Covid-19 cancelled festivities last year, there is even more of a reason to go and enjoy a mulled wine or two. If you haven’t been before, you are in for a treat this Christmas time.

Here are six reasons why you should visit this year’s Christmas markets. 

1. It’s a great place to meet with friends 

If you’re a first year looking for a good excuse to meet some friends or even if you’re a third year who needs a night off, there is no better escape. With numerous stalls to spend your student loan on, Christmas music and a vast selection of food and drink, it has all you need to for a wholesome evening.  

2. Supporting Local businesses  

Sheffield Christmas markets has over 50 log cabins selling products that are perfect for Christmas gifts, whether it be stocking fillers or a treat for yourself. Over 80% of the market traders are from Sheffield and it’s always important to show your support for our local talent, especially after lockdown.

The Alpine Bar and Lodge 

When you have finished your Christmas shopping, why not kick back and relax in the Alpine Bar or Lodge. Both the bar and lodge are complete with fairy lights, wooden hut seating and a joyful atmosphere – as well as a range of drinks including Baileys hot chocolate and mulled wine. The lodge is two stories high and has the option to sit on the decrative balcony and watch the world go by. It’s the perfect place to snap your seasonal Instagram post. 

The Big Ferris Wheel 

If you are searching for the perfect romantic spot, then how about gazing upon the Steel City from above? Whether it’s date night or just an outing with your friends, the Ferris wheel is always a must and an essential addition to your festive evening. 

The Traditional Bratwurst  

The markets do not disappoint with the selection of food and drink on offer this year, including the traditional Bratwurst sausage. Spend your evening wandering through the cabins, which sell cuisine from all over the world. Options include Chinese noodles, Churros, Bombay potatoes, pancake wraps and even a sweet treats stall for afters. There is also a great selection of vegetarian and vegan food, for any meat free foodies.  

For the Sheffield Christmas spirit 

There is no denying that the Christmas markets are one of the best ways to get yourself into the Christmas spirit. With the music, handmade gifts, seasonal snacks and humble atmosphere, it’s a faultless way to kick start your festive season. 

The markets run from the 15 November and throughout December. They are open 10:00am – 6:00pm Monday to Thursday and 10:00am to 8:00pm Friday to Sunday.