Petition to save Uni of’s Archeology Department receives over 35,000 signatures

Sheffield Archeology Department is ranked 12th worldwide

A petition set up against the proposed closure of Uni of’s Department of Archeology has received over 35,000 signatures.

The petition was set up by Liam Hand, a student at the university last week after the world renowned department went under review due to a lack of staff and research deficit.

Yesterday, The University of Sheffield announced that the Executive Board wants to close down the faculty.

Sheffield Archeology tweeted: “Today we were informed that the University Executive Board is proposing to close the Department of Archaeology.

“As a department we unanimously reject this decision, and the grounds upon which it was made. It will mean the end of Archaeology at Sheffield.”

Students and staff members gathered outside Uni of Sheffield’s Department of Archeology building on Monday to rally against the proposed closure of the department.

The University of Sheffield is one of only seven Russell Group universities with a dedicated Archaeology Department, which has been running for over 50 years – ranking 5th in the UK and 12th worldwide.

The #SaveSheffieldArcehology has been trending on twitter to protest against the closure of this department.

A link to the petition can be found here.

Featured image credit: Jayne Burland