A Sheffield Hallam staff member has died after contracting coronavirus

The university said they were ‘deeply saddened’

A member of staff at Sheffield Hallam University has sadly died after contracting coronavirus.

The member of the Facilities Management team passed away over the weekend of 24 of October.

There were 10 new coronavirus cases amongst students and one amongst staff at Sheffield Hallam on Sunday 1 November. The University of Sheffield recorded four new student cases and no staff cases on the same day.

It comes as Boris Johnson plunged the country into lockdown following a second wave and warned that deaths could be twice as bad as spring.

Previously, Sheffield UCU demanded an end to all face-to-face teaching over concerns for staff safety.

A spokesperson for Sheffield Hallam University wishes to assure students that as far as they are aware the staff member did not contract the virus on campus.

Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Richard Calvert told the Sheffield Tab: “Everyone in the University community is deeply saddened to learn that one of our colleagues, who worked in our Facilities Management team, tragically passed away over the weekend of 24 October.

“Our thoughts and deepest condolences are with their family and friends at this time.”