Tier-two restrictions announced for Sheffield with indoor mixing of households banned

Restrictions have been tightened

Sheffield was today placed on a tier-two lockdown by the government, meaning the indoor mixing of households is not allowed – even in pubs, restaurants, and bars.

Two households can meet outdoors in public, as long as the rule of six and social distancing are followed.

Elsewhere, Liverpool was placed on a tier-three lockdown, meaning pubs and bars will be forced to close.

Retail shops, schools, and universities will remain open in all three tiers of the lockdown.

It comes after the University of Sheffield recorded more than 100 cases in just one day, and Sheffield students spoke out about how the restrictions have hit their mental health.

Areas on tier-one will be subject to the same rules as those which currently apply across the country, such as the rule of six and the 10 pm hospitality curfew.

Other stories recommended by this writer:

• A local lockdown in Sheffield is ‘inevitable’ warns health boss, as cases at uni rise

• ‘It’s been a shambles from start to finish’: Meet the self-isolating Sheffield students

• University of Sheffield coronavirus cases pass 700 after 109 recorded in just one day