Sheff student areas Ranmoor and Endcliffe have third highest number of new corona cases

Broomhall, you’re on the list too

Sheffield student areas Ranmoor and Endcliffe had 392 new positive coronavirus cases from October 1 to October 7, placing them third highest in the gov’s MSOA figures.

Released weekly, they show the number of positive cases reported in the week in local areas. MSOA stands for Middle-Level Super Output Area and involves places with a population between 5,000 and 15,000 (approx 7500 areas).

Nottingham took the top two places, with their University Park & Jubilee Campus coming in first at a whopping 757 cases.

Ranmoor and Endcliffe, mainly populated by first-years at the University of Sheffield, came in above coronavirus hotspots such as Hyde Park in Leeds (353 cases) and Newcastle City Centre (340 cases).

Other places in Sheffield on the list include Broomhall, coming in at 14th with 217 cases, and Sharrow, coming in at 22nd on 143 cases.

Sheffield is on a two-tier lockdown in an effort to cut the rise in cases. It means that meeting another housedoors inside is banned – even in pubs and restaurants.

Both universities operate their own support and encourage students to reach out for help if they need it. You can access the University of Sheffield wellbeing services here, and Sheffield Hallam wellbeing services here.

Other stories recommended by this writer:

• ‘Covid restrictions caused me to overdose’: The mental health decline of students in Sheffield

• ‘It’s been a shambles from start to finish’: Meet the self-isolating Sheffield students

• University of Sheffield coronavirus cases pass 700 after 109 recorded in just one day