Everything you need to know about Sheffield Hallam’s Black History Month virtual events

All events will be hosted online

Sheffield Hallam University is hosting a series of virtual events to celebrate Black History Month this year from 14 to 30 October.  

These events are based on the theme ‘Beyond being visible, Black Lives Matter’ and topics vary from learning more about the works of the Black lives Matter campaign team in Sheffield, decolonising the curriculum, to how students can support and improve the mental health of women of colour within the university. 

Andrew Adegbola, Student’s Union President, said: “Blacks should not just make the number in society and universities, but black lives, academic achievements, well being and mental health, hard work, and struggles of blacks should matter. Black history should be celebrated at all times.”

Praise Ishola, SHU Business, Technology, and Engineering College Officer, will host an online Instagram party ‘Afro beat-Karaoke Celebration Night, and the SHU BHM celebrations will end with a ‘Cultural night’ inviting all Hallam BAME students to attend.

He said: “Black History celebration provides an opportunity to share our identity, legacy, achievements, and accomplishments to the global economy; and the opportunity to celebrate the successes of our black heroes.” 

To find out more visit here.