At least 40 staff and students at Sheffield Hallam have coronavirus, confirms the uni

And it’s only day three of the new term…

Sheffield Hallam has confirmed that at least 40 staff and students are quarantining after testing positive for coronavirus.

They said the cases are not contained to one single block of accommodation but are spread over the ‘university community’.

The new term started on Monday 28 September. Students that have tested positive are now isolating for a fortnight. Their household and flatmates must also isolate to contain the virus and stop it from spreading further.

The university is following a strict procedure when they are informed about a positive test. All points of contact with the student or staff member are informed through the track and trace system.

As well as this, Sheffield Hallam is offering support to all students who are isolating if it’s needed. This includes providing food packages as well as mental wellbeing support through the students’ union.

The University of Sheffield has had 36 coronavirus cases reported. They are following similar measures to ensure that the virus does not spread across the university.

Students can find all the latest Sheffield Hallam COVID updates on the university website. 

A spokesman told Yorkshire Live: “We are working closely with our partner accommodation providers to keep students safe, reminding them of their responsibilities and that they should not meet with other households inside their accommodation.

“The University is managing an unprecedented situation and we will continue to adapt and develop our plans over the weeks ahead, guided by the need to both keep safe and to provide the best possible learning and working experience.”