36 students and three staff members at Sheffield Uni have coronavirus as of today

It’s an increase from yesterday

Three staff members and 36 students at the University of Sheffield actively have coronavirus, according to statistics released by the university today.

This is an increase from yesterday, Monday 28 September, when there were cases confirmed with two staff members and 29 students, out of the uni population made up of 8,000 staff and around 29,000 students.

It comes following the Covid-19 infection rate doubling in Sheffield, and calls from Sheffield UCU to end to all face-to-face teaching until their five demands are met.

If you’re a student at the university and have symptoms or have to self-isolate, you’ll need to fill in this form.

The university has said it will support self-isolating students “in the best way possible” through checking on their welfare and offering “practical and emotional support”.

If you’re in university halls, there will also be a daily check-in and access to a guaranteed delivery of an essentials food, toiletries and a laundry product package while self-isolating.

The university wrote on their website: “When we receive notification of a suspected or confirmed case of Covid-19, we follow detailed processes and procedures, including tracking and tracing to reduce onward transmission, communications to relevant staff and students, and deep cleaning of affected areas where appropriate.

“Staff and students who are confirmed as having Covid-19 are asked to share details of their close contacts to allow us to inform those that will need to self-isolate in line with government guidelines. In addition to this information, we are using timetabling data and system logs to identify staff and students who may have been in close proximity to a confirmed Covid-19 case and may therefore have to isolate.”