Pret A Manger in Sheffield city centre confirms it will not re-open

It’s one of 30 across the UK to do so

The Pret A Manger store in Sheffield city centre has announced that it will not be re-opening after lockdown, as the company shuts 30 of its branches and leaves 1000 jobs in the balance.

The sandwich shop said that it has not recovered as quickly from the pandemic as it would have liked, and sales across the UK have dropped by 74 per cent from last year.

“We have taken the difficult decision not to re-open our Sheffield Fargate shop,” bosses said.

“Although we are working hard to adapt Pret to the new retail environment, the pandemic has massively affected our industry and it is no longer financially viable for us to continue operations.

“We cannot defy gravity and continue with the business model we had before the pandemic. It’s a sad day for the whole Pret family, and I’m devastated that we will be losing so many employees.”

The closure of the Sheffield store means 15 people will lose their jobs, but the company have said that they will support their leavers with a range of initiatives.

Other stories recommended by this writer:

• Sheffield Uni tutor warns of threat to student learning from ‘devastating’ staff cuts

• Sheffield student nurse speaks out about her awful treatment throughout the pandemic

Take this Sheff-related quiz and we’ll accurately guess how many people you’ve slept with

Featured image credit: InSapphoWeTrust labelled for reuse under this Creative Commons License.