The Leadmill and Corp among Sheff student nightlife favs at risk of closure

Can 2020 even get any worse?

The Leadmill and Corporation have both been placed on the ‘at-risk’ register by Music Venues Trust, following the disastrous impact of lockdown on the music industry.

The charity represents hundreds of music venues, and says that 90 per cent may face permanent closure. It has issued an urgent warning to the Government that £50m is needed to prevent mass closures in July, August and September.

Rebecca Walker, assistant general manager at The Leadmill, warned that every venue is at risk of closing if they cannot open before Christmas.

She said: “The entire arts sector is on a cliff edge. From August, the company will need to make contributions to furlough and it will have to come from The Leadmill’s savings. We are not getting any income to support us.

“We are doing everything we can as a company to support staff but we can’t do it indefinitely and it’s so scary thinking about what is going to happen after October.”

Mark Hobson, the managing director of Corp, added that Government help is a must because it is impossible to reopen whilst social distancing is still in place.

His venue, which normally holds 1400 people, would be able to admit just 166 people at a one metre distance.

He said: “How can businesses that are not allowed to open and earn money pay furloughed staff? We need the Government to help so we can make sure the city gets out of this in the best possible way.”

Both venues have raised money following a campaign last month, but still need support to guarantee their safety.

To donate to the Leadmill visit here and to Corp visit here.